To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox on daily basis at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Pleased Friday! Haje is having fun with some down time on the East Coast, so I’m operating solo. As you possibly can see from the not-so-surprising transfer by Elon Musk final night time and the sheer variety of Twitter tales from our fabulous client tech staff at present, it has been all Twitter, all day. We promise to offer you a bit of little bit of that, in fact, and a bit of of what else we’ve been engaged on. Let’s dive in, we could? — Christine
The TechCrunch High 3
- Flying the general public coop: Now that Elon Musk owns Twitter, its days are numbered as a public firm. The truth is, Ivan writes, Twitter will probably be delisted on November 8 — voting day for the U.S. midterm elections.
- Caging the fowl: Over to Europe, the place only a few hours into really proudly owning Twitter, Musk already discovered himself on the fallacious finish of European Union officers, who corrected him after he tweeted about how free he thinks Twitter is now. Natasha L has extra.
- Massive Tweet Chief: Stories now say that Musk will take the CEO function for himself, Ivan writes, after he ousted Twitter’s 4 prime executives, as reported by Amanda.
For extra information on the blue fowl, head right down to the Massive Tech Inc. part, the place we have now you lined.
Startups and VC
Sadly, the hits hold coming for 54gene, an African genomics startup targeted on offering extra African genetic materials to pharmaceutical analysis — there’s simply 3% now, Tage studies. After some months of layoffs and a CEO exit, the corporate confirmed that it not solely made yet one more spherical of layoffs — this time of 100 folks — however it additionally slashed its valuation by over $100 million.
And we have now three extra for you:
- Robotic riot: Galen Robotics has a brand new robotic that can help with ear, nostril and throat surgical procedures. Oh, and it secured $15 million in new funding, Andrew studies.
- Observe the yellow brick highway: Recreation studio Hidden Door is utilizing narrative AI to show fiction into immersive role-playing experiences, and Rebecca writes it’s testing out “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Does anybody else use this phrase?: I used to be delighted to see that there’s a firm named Skidattl. The corporate is utilizing augmented actuality to indicate customers what persons are doing round them, in what Rebecca writes is “like a Bat-Sign for enjoyable.”
5 methods biotech startups can mitigate threat to develop sustainably in the long term
Due to R&D and scientific trials, life science startups have lengthy lead occasions earlier than they’ll convey their capital-intensive merchandise to market.
“However,” asks Omar Khalil, a associate at Santé Ventures, “what occurs when the funding all of the sudden dries up?”
In a visitor publish for TC+, he shares 5 methods for biotech startups which are making an attempt to remain heat by way of the winter forward.
“It’s nonetheless too early to know whether or not this can be a short-term correction, or if it’s a brand new regular that will probably be maintained for the foreseeable future.”
Three extra from the TC+ staff:
Massive Tech Inc.
As promised, we have now much more Twitter information so that you can take pleasure in. As I write this, a number of of my colleagues hopped on Twitter Areas to speak about all this. One of many newest bits of stories from Taylor was that Elon Musk was forming a content material moderation “council” to make sure choices — for instance, about account reinstatements for, cough, Donald Trump. Right here’s two extra:
Catching you up on extra earnings studies:
And we have now 4 extra for you: